May 10, 2011

Goodies From Kids

As I was checking my email, facebook, sports updates & other seemingly necessary websites that tend mostly to consume more time than I'd sometimes like them to, I peered across my desk & noticed a collection of various candies nearly overflowing a coffee mug & it got me thinking about how funny the kids are....not to mention, how grateful most of them seem to be & their numerous ways of showing their gratitude in the simplest of ways.

It's nice to see a heaping stash of suckers, carmel, assorted candies, gum, an orange & a plastic spoon (not really sure why it was given to me but it's the thought that counts, right). I remember reading somewhere that it's the little things in life that have the biggest impact & I'm starting to think there might be some truth to it. None of these kids are poverty stricken but they're far from wealthy as well - mostly your typical middle class families.  It is nice, though, to see they've been raised properly & taught to be selfless rather than selfish, which is a quality I see less frequently from 'kids' of all ages - adults & children alike.

The kids really like to learn & make sure their teachers know it; plus their little random acts of kindness & sharing can quickly ones faith in humanity....it's not till later, it seems, these same innocent, fun loving kids become the adults who lose sight of what was truly great about being a child - the ability to live in the here & now w/out holding a grudge or doing something spiteful to gain an advantage but instead, having a good time & making sure everyone is involved. You ever notice kids seem to be the happiest of all humans? Think about it....a short life & memory not necessarily clouded by the things grown ups have consumed themselves with.

I was told before arriving in Gumi if you are fair, kind, fun & helpful as a teacher, they will show you inordinate amounts of love, affection & appreciation. This has definitely been the case so far. Some of you may know, I'm a big proponent of the high five & I started the 'blow-it-up fist bump' w/my golf girls well before every idiot in an Ed Hardy Skin-Fit T-shirt was doing it for no good reason. Language barriers aside, everyone can understand & appreciate a solid high five for a job well done....many of them even try to see if they can slap my hand so hard it hurts me (it never does) but they usually walk away rubbing their sore hand & saying ouch in Korean, vowing next time they'll make me regret wanting to high five them.

I suppose I should get to work on that pile of goodies but I'm not a candy or junk food guy. I'm sure I'll be able to find a good home for most of it, though!

Stay young, my friends, enjoy the little things & don't lose sight of what made being a kid so special....life shouldn't be so complicated & difficult!

No comments:

Post a Comment