October 31, 2011

Technical Difficulties

More to come in the next couple weeks but wanted to get a quick update on the happenings over here:

As the past six weeks have flown by, I've been fortunate enough to have made a few great weekend trips, done some interesting hiking, enjoyed a multitude of soju (rice whiskey) w/my newest Korean hiking buddies, completed probably 6 or 7 novels and fought through spotty internet service and a failing computer.

The trips included two I wasn't sure if I'd actually get in but were high on my list. One was to Jeju-do, a subtropical island SW of the country which offers a multitude of intriguing, diverse and breathtaking natural wonders as well as some quirky, off the beaten path destinations.  The other was Seoraksan, likely the most popular & picturesque mountainous area in the Republic of Korea (the range extends into the north and is supposedly even more awesome but I didn't feel like ponying up the three grand). It was a quick trip but definitely worth the long bus rides each way, lack of sleep & four hours of night hiking.

Fortunately, the computer was a fairly simple fix once I located someone who could take the two minutes to look at it (Samsung and a couple other Korean brands are pretty much what everyone uses over here so finding a Toshiba 'engineer' took a bit of effort) and assess the problem.

After attempting to order the part speaking the little Korean I could muster, my boss, James offered to help but it took him a few days to get around to actually making the call. Having finally gotten the new adapter, the battery is fully charged & I've been able to upload about 500 pics from the past few weeks adventures, Halloween parties and general nonsense as well as a bunch of videos.

Hopefully, I can get everything up on my Facebook & YouTube pages in the next couple weeks.

The weather has taken a welcome turn from the oppressive heat & humidity. The days have been mostly sunny & cool while the evenings get a little chilly but it has been rather refreshing for the most part.  It's also allowed for some great fall colors on the leaves - something I've really not seen the past decade living in FL.

Looking forward to the final two months of teaching & hopefully four to six weeks traipsing around SE Asia.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment